If you have several weeks before your move, you will want to consider preparing for your move in stages. OVO suggests the following move calendar, if time allows.
If you need to compress this timeline, you will want to make sure you complete all of the steps outlined in a way that most appropriately fits your move schedule.12-9 Weeks Before
8-7 Weeks Before
- If your employer is moving you, verify what your company covers
- Establish tentative dates for your move
- Arrange to sell your home
- Contact a OVO move coordinator to plan your move
- Arrange to buy a new home in your new community or to get an apartment guide if you are renting
6 Weeks Before
- Begin sorting out those items you do not plan to move. Make plans for selling them or donating them to charity
- Contact the IRS or your accountant for forms and information regarding tax-deductible moving expenses
5 Weeks Before
- Finalize your living arrangements, homeowners/renters insurance and finances regarding your new residence
- Assess job opportunities for your spouse or children
- Establish new bank accounts if your current bank doesn't have a branch in your new area
- Sketch out a floor plan of your new home and get room measurements
- Contact the utility company that services your new residence to transfer service into your name.
4 Weeks Before
- Finalize pickup and delivery dates with OVO.
- Continue sorting belongings that you will dispose of, items you are taking with you and everything else that goes with the mover
- If you have high value or unusual items that you expect to ship, obtain an appraisal and gather receipts
3 Weeks Before
- Visit www.usps.com to notify the postal service of your new address and send change-of-address cards to friends, relatives and periodicals
- Arrange for utilities, repairs and installations in your new home
- Obtain forms for transferring driver's license(s) and applying for credit
- Contact your doctor and dentist offices for referrals to a new physician and dentist and to obtain dental and medical records to take with you
2 Weeks Before
- If you are doing your own packing, start now
- Make any travel arrangements, including interim hotel reservations and car rental
1 Week Before
- Return library books and anything borrowed from friends or neighbors
- Relax! Take the family for a farewell drive to some of the places you've loved. Have a “going away” party for the kids and their friends.
- Take care of bills, stocks and investments
- Take pet(s) to veterinarian for immunization and get a copy of their records for your new veterinarian
- Transfer bank accounts
- Drain oil and gasoline from power equipment.
- Have your car serviced before the trip
- Transfer prescriptions
- Arrange for delivery services to be discontinued, newspapers, etc.
- Start gathering those items to take with you on your trip
- Pack luggage
- Defrost and dry refrigerator and freezer to be moved
- Obtain cash or travelers checks for trip expenses